The AAM-Getty International Program is a professional growth opportunity that provides financial support to non-U.S. museum professionals to attend the AAM Annual Meeting and MuseumExpo. The Review Committee reads applications and selects the most qualified applicants from a talented and diverse pool of museum colleagues. Selected participants receive:
- Complimentary conference registration
- Travel stipend for airfare and per diem
- Up to five nights complimentary lodging at official host conference hotel
- Orientation session exclusively for international program participants
- Invitation to the AAM-Getty International Program Breakfast and two evening events
- Participation in a speed networking event
In addition, Participants will also receive:
Non-US professionals currently working in museums may apply for the AAM-Getty International Program. Individuals must work in an art museum or work with art collections in a museum in countries with developing or emerging economies. While previous Fellowship recipients can apply, preference will be given to those who have not previously participated in the AAM-Getty International Program. Candidates must have professional working proficiency in English.
Requirements of Program Participants
- Participants are required to attend the entire Annual Meeting, AAM-Getty International Program Orientation, AAM-Getty International Program Breakfast and speed networking event.
- Participants are expected to stay in the assigned AAM conference hotel.
Program Participants are also strongly encouraged to join in the following educational and networking activities:
- General Sessions
- Professional Network breakfasts, lunches, or receptions (pre-registration and fees may apply).
After the conference, AAM-Getty International Program Participants are required to submit an evaluation survey on their Annual Meeting experience.
How to Apply
Applicants submit their application via an online process. Individuals are encouraged to compile their application materials before starting the online process. Applicants will not be able to save and return to complete their application later. The Review Committee will not consider incomplete or late applications.
To complete the online application by Friday, January 25, 2019:
- Prepare and submit a single PDF document in English and name the pdf file with your first and last name. Include the following:
- Essay (no longer than 500 words) addressing the following questions:
- How will your participation at the conference contribute to the rich, diverse conversation at the Annual Meeting?
- How will your participation at the conference contribute to your professional growth and experience?
- How will you plan to share knowledge from the conference in your work, institution and more broadly?
- Poster Session (optional): If you would like to present a poster on your work or current project, please provide a title and description not to exceed three sentences.
- Resume or curriculum vitae (2-3 page limit)
- Letter of recommendation in English by a supervisor or employer articulating how your attendance at the Annual Meeting will benefit you, your institution and the broader museum field. Only one letter is required.
- Complete the AAM-Getty International Program Application Form
- Provide the estimated airfare costs to fly roundtrip to New Orleans, LA (coach-class) May 18-22 in the application form. Please be as accurate as possible on your estimated airfare costs as the travel subsidy will not exceed the estimated airfare costs provided on the application.
- Upload your required PDF document to include: essay, resume, proposed poster session (optional), and recommendation letter.
- Review your application to be sure all information is accurate and complete. Applicants will not be able to save and return to complete their application later.
- Click the Submit button.
AAM will notify applicants via email of their application status by February 25, 2019.
Confirmation and Conference Registration
AAM-Getty International Program Participants must:
- Sign and return AAM-Getty International Program Terms & Conditions Agreement no later than March 4, 2019.
Once AAM receives the agreement form we will:
- Issue a special code with instructions on how to register for complimentary Annual Meeting registration and purchase additional event tickets that are not included in the award to participants.
- Please note: These awards are non-transferable. Participants are responsible for all costs for obtaining a passport and securing a travel visa. Airline reservations will be made by AAM’s official travel agency unless extenuating circumstances require alternate arrangements.