AAM Annual Meeting Scholarship Program
The application period for Annual Meeting scholarships is now open through March 1, 2023.
About the Program
The AAM Annual Meeting Scholarship is a professional development opportunity that provides financial support for museum professionals and US-based students to attend the AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo. The program is designed to nurture greater inclusivity—for the benefit of museums, museum professionals, and the diverse audiences they serve—by supporting the professional development of individuals from underrepresented or marginalized groups.
This year, we are offering 2023 AAM Annual Meeting Scholarships to museum professionals from underrepresented or marginalized communities in addition to scholarships for residents of rural Colorado.
Applications are encouraged from individuals in the US and other countries (members or non-members) who would not be able to attend the conference without financial assistance and identify as belonging to an underrepresented or marginalized community, including but not limited to:
- Persons of color including members of a federally recognized American Indian nation or Alaska Native corporation
- Persons in the LGBTQ+
- Persons with a physical, cognitive, or developmental disability
Preference may be given to applicants who:
- Are early or mid-career professionals
- Are leaders of small institutions of 10 or fewer staff
- Are current AAM members
- Reside in rural Colorado
If you are selected to receive an AAM Annual Meeting Scholarship, you will receive:
- Complimentary registration to #AAM2023 (up to $900 value)
- 3 nights of lodging in the AAM hotel block
- One year of AAM Individual Professional membership (up to $90 value)*
- Ticket to the AAM Party
- $500 travel stipend (please note that Colorado Scholarship recipients are not eligible for a travel stipend)
*Current AAM Individual Professional Members will receive a one-year complimentary renewal on their current membership
#AAM2023 Scholarship Recipients will be required to:
- Participate in a pre-conference call in late April or early May
- Attend each day of the Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo in Denver May 19-22
- Participate in educational and networking activities at #AAM2023, depending on their experience and interests
- Submit a post-conference survey (to take no longer than 30 minutes to complete)
Scholarship recipients are expected to follow any #AAM2023 guidelines provided by AAM before and throughout the conference.
How to Apply
Applications are open February 1 – March 1, 2023
Applicants submit their applications via an online form. Individuals are encouraged to compile their application materials before starting the online process. Applicants will not be able to save and return to complete their applications later. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Application materials include the completed application form, along with a single PDF document to include: 1) Essay (500-word maximum), 2) Resume/Curriculum Vitae (2-page limit)), and 3) attestation of financial need.
The essay should address the following:
#AAM2023 will center on the Social and Community Impact of Museums. Please prepare a single essay (no longer than 500 words) addressing the following questions:
- How will your participation contribute to the rich, diverse discussions at the Annual Meeting with regard to this year’s conference theme?
- How will your participation at the conference contribute to your professional growth?
- How will you plan to share knowledge from the conference in your work or academic studies?
THE APPLICATION PERIOD FOR 2023 SCHOLARSHIPS IS FEBRUARY 1 – MARCH 1.
Applications submitted after March 1 will not be considered.
Questions? We’re happy to help! Contact us at email@example.com.
2023 AAM Annual Meeting Scholarship Supporters
We are grateful for the generosity of the 2023 AAM Annual Meeting Scholarship supporters. If you are interested in supporting the professional development of emerging, underrepresented, or Colorado-based museum professionals, please contact us at development [at] aam-us.org.