Applications are due January 24, 2020.
The AAM Annual Meeting Scholarship is a professional growth opportunity that provides financial support for US-based students and museum professionals at any stage of their career to attend the AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo. The program is designed to nurture greater inclusivity—for the benefit of museums, museum professionals, and the diverse audiences they serve—by supporting the professional development of individuals from underrepresented or marginalized groups.
The Scholarship includes:
- Complimentary conference registration
- Complimentary tickets to selected networking events
- $750 cash award to subsidize expenses
2020 AAM Annual Meeting Scholarship applications are encouraged from individuals (members or non-members) who identify as underrepresented or otherwise marginalized, including but not limited to:
- persons of color
- American Indian/Alaska Native/Native Hawaiian
- persons with a physical, cognitive, or developmental disability
Preference may be given to applicants who:
- are current AAM members
- have not received an AAM Annual Meeting Scholarship (formerly “Fellowship”) in the past
Requirements for Scholarship Recipients
- Scholarship recipients are required to attend the entire Annual Meeting (May 17-20, 2020), Alliance Scholarship Breakfast, and ticketed Professional Network events accompanying the award.
- Scholarship recipients are encouraged to stay in AAM’s official San Francisco housing block. Housing information is available on the 2020 Housing Information page.
Scholarship recipients are also strongly encouraged to participate in educational and networking activities, depending on their experience and interests.
After the conference, scholarship recipients are required to submit an evaluation on their Annual Meeting experience.
How to Apply
Applicants submit their application via an online form. Individuals are encouraged to compile their application materials before starting the online process. Applicants will not be able to save and return to complete their application later. The Review Committee will not consider incomplete or late applications.
Application materials include the application form with a single PDF document to include the following:
- The theme for the 2020 AAM Annual Meeting is “A BRIDGE TO THE FUTURE.” Please prepare a single essay (no longer than 500 words) addressing the following questions:
- How will your participation contribute to the rich, diverse discussions at the Annual Meeting and/or focused on the conference theme?
- How will your participation at the conference contribute to your professional growth?
- How will you plan to share knowledge from the conference in your work, or academic studies?
- Resume or curriculum vitae (2 page limit)
- Letter of recommendation by—a supervisor, colleague, or faculty member familiar with your work—articulating how your attendance at the Annual Meeting will benefit you, your institution and the broader museum field. Only one letter is required.
The application deadline for the 2020 AAM Annual Meeting has passed.