The AAM Annual Meeting Scholarship is a professional growth opportunity that provides financial support for students and museum professionals at any stage of their career to attend the AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo. The program is designed to nurture greater inclusivity—for the benefit of museums, museum professionals, and the diverse audiences they serve—by supporting the professional development of individuals from underrepresented or marginalized groups.
The Scholarship includes:
- Complimentary conference registration
- Complimentary tickets to selected networking events
- $750 cash award to subsidize expenses
Don't Miss Out
Applications for the 2019 AAM Annual Meeting are due by Friday, January 25, 2019.Apply Now
2019 AAM Annual Meeting Scholarship applications are encouraged from individuals (members or non-members) who identify as underrepresented or otherwise marginalized, including but not limited to:
- persons of color
- American Indian/Alaska Native/Native Hawaiian
- persons with a physical, cognitive, or developmental disability
Preference may be given to applicants who:
- are current AAM members
- have not received an AAM Annual Meeting Scholarship (formerly “Fellowship”) in the past
Requirements for Scholarship Recipients
- Scholarship recipients are required to attend the entire Annual Meeting (May 19-22), Alliance Scholarship Breakfast and ticketed Professional Network events accompanying the award.
- Scholarship recipients are encouraged to stay in the hotel housing block for New Orleans. Housing information is available on the Reserve Housing page.
Scholarship recipients are also strongly encouraged to participate in the following educational and networking activities, depending on their experience and interests:
- Maximize Your Annual Meeting Experience Program (Sunday, May 19 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM)
- General Sessions (Monday, May 20; Tuesday, May 21; Wednesday, May 22)
After the Conference, scholarship recipients are required to submit an evaluation on their Annual Meeting experience.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete the online application form. You will need to upload a single PDF document with the following:
- The theme for the 2019 AAM Annual Meeting is “Dynamic, Relevant, Essential: Sustaining Vibrant Museums.” Please prepare a single essay (no longer than 500 words) addressing:
- How your participation will stimulate a rich conversation around this theme
- How your participation at the Conference will contribute to your professional growth
- How you plan to apply knowledge from the Conference in your work or academic studies
- Resume or curriculum vitae (2-page limit)
- Letter of recommendation–a supervisor, colleague, employer, or faculty advisor–articulating how your attendance at the Annual Meeting will benefit you, your institution (or course of study), and the broader museum field. Only one letter is required.
- Please name the PDF file with your first and last name.
AAM will notify applicants via email of their status by February 25, 2019.
NOTE: AAM thanks these Professional Network members for serving on teams to review applications and select the scholarship recipients.
Confirmation and Conference Registration
By March 11, 2019, Scholarship awardees must:
- Confirm acceptance of the Scholarship
- Submit a signed IRS W-9 form (for U.S. Citizens) or W-8 (for non-U.S. Citizens)
Once AAM receives confirmation and signed IRS forms, AAM will:
- Issue a special code with instructions on how to register for complimentary Annual Meeting registration and purchase additional event tickets not included or conflicting with other Scholarship events to Scholarship recipients
- Issue travel stipends to Scholarship recipients. Please note: travel stipends will take approximately four weeks to issue to recipients
Please note: Scholarships are non-transferable.