The AAM Annual Meeting Fellowship is a professional growth opportunity that provides financial support for students and museum professionals at any stage of their career to attend the AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo. The program is designed to nurture greater inclusivity—for the benefit of museums, museum professionals, and the diverse audiences they serve—by supporting the professional development of individuals from underrepresented or marginalized groups.
The Fellowship Award includes:
- Complimentary conference registration
- Complimentary tickets to selected networking events
- $750 cash award to subsidize expenses
2018 AAM Annual Meeting Fellowships applications are encouraged from individuals (members or non-members) who identify as underrepresented or otherwise marginalized, including but not limited to:
- persons of color
- American Indian/Alaska Native/Native Hawaiian
- lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer (LGBTQ)
- persons with a physical, cognitive, or developmental disability
Preference may be given to applicants who:
- are current AAM members
- have not received an AAM Annual Meeting Fellowship in the past
Requirements of Fellowship Recipients
- Fellowship recipients are required to attend the entire Annual Meeting (May 6-9), Alliance Fellowship Breakfast and ticketed Professional Network events accompanying the award.
- Fellows are encouraged to stay in the hotel housing block for Phoenix. Housing information is available under Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo Housing.
Fellows are also strongly encouraged to participate in the following educational and networking activities, depending on their experience and interests:
- First-Time Attendees Welcome Program (Sunday, May 6, 9-11am)
- General Sessions (Monday, May 7, Tuesday, May 8, Wednesday, May 9)
- Marketplace of Ideas (Monday, May 7)
After the conference, fellows are required to submit an evaluation on their Annual Meeting experience.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete the online application form. You will need to upload a single PDF document with the following:
- The theme for the 2018 AAM Annual Meeting is “Educate, Engage, Elevate! Museums on the Rise.” Please prepare a single essay (no longer than 500 words) addressing:
- How your participation will stimulate a rich conversation around this theme
- How your participation at the conference will contribute to your professional growth
- How you plan to apply knowledge from the conference in your work or academic studies
- Resume or curriculum vitae (2 page limit)
- Letter of recommendation–a supervisor, colleague, employer, or faculty advisor–articulating how your attendance at the Annual Meeting will benefit you, your institution (or course of study), and the broader museum field. Only one letter is required.
- Please name the pdf file with your first and last name.
AAM will notify applicants via email of their status by February 28, 2018.
Fellows Confirmation and Conference Registration
By March 12, 2018, Fellowship awardees must:
- Confirm acceptance of the Fellowship
- Submit a signed IRS W-9 form (for U.S. Citizens) or W-8 (for non-U.S. citizens)
Once AAM receives confirmation and signed IRS forms, AAM will:
- Issue a special code with instructions to Fellowship recipients on how to register for complimentary Annual Meeting registration and purchase additional event tickets not included or conflicting with other Fellowship events
- Issue travel stipends to Fellowship recipients. Please note: travel stipends will take approximately four weeks to issue to recipients
Please note: Fellowship awards are non-transferable.